Tuesday 3 September 2013

Ultreia

Yesterday over coffee I had an interesting conversation with Raphael. I commented that, in English his name means: who is like God. He said that it is dangerous to compare a human to God. I said that I didn't totally agree with him. In my opinion we meet God through others. Later I reflected on the question in the Letter of John: how can you say that you love the God that you cannot see when you fail to love the brother that you can see. Raphael also asked me if I believe that St James is really buried at Santiago. I said that personally no! But it doesn't matter. The Chemin has been made holy by the countless pilgrims who have walked the Way for more than a 1000 years. I also told him about the way in which the hands of pilgrims have worn away the stone on pillars in churches along the way. That is a vivid symbol of pilgrimage:having the hard parts of ourselves softened.
I was going to go on to explain the word ' ultreia'.As it happens if you follow the comment on my previous post you can see a full explanation and an English translation of the song!
Having borrowed Matthew Wauchope's computer to post the previous blogs I went to gather in my laundry. Matthew said that hot weather is forecast for the next few days. Matthew, Liz and I had a drink on the terrace and then set off for dinner. It was a spectacular evening and the rolling landscape of the Gers was breathtaking. The restaurant looked out over Lectoure and we had it to ourselves. Matthew suggested that we all eat the same. We had Langoustines followed by Foie Gras ( The way of the pilgrim is hard!) In each case the sauces were out of this world. The very jolly owner produced an enormous bottle of Armagnac.  ( This is the heart of Armagnac country) Like the Spanish the French are very generous with the measures and the owner made a couple of return visits with the bottle.
Matthew had kindly offered to drop me off this morning. I was on the road by 7.20. It was a cloudless morning threatening serious heat . fortunately the going is much easier here. As the journey develops I find that I become even more reflective. I am now very close to Les Landes and the countryside is much flatter.
I am now in Condom which calls itself the pearl of Gascony. Curiously after the title of my previous post there is a sculpture of the Three Musketeers outside the Cathedral. My lodgings are on the edge of this delightful town and the owner has offered to do my laundryffor me. 

1 comment:

  1. Looking back at "Rublev's Icons"
    I have been touched by the friendship of others and by this proverb
    _
    Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing, some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

    Hebrews 13:2

    Sue C

    ReplyDelete