Saturday 28 September 2013

Living the dream

One of the reasons for walking30km was that I wanted to stay in Hontanas I had been told that it was a particularly beautiful spot but was not prepared for its extraordinary quality . After 10 km across the meseta I first saw a shepherd and then the tower of a church appeared . It was like stepping back 300 years . Halfway down the only street was the Auberge, the girls were very welcoming since I spoke to them in Spanish . Over the washing I convinced two ladies from US to come back and do the french section next year . I asked whether the church would be opened and was directed to a house in the village . The owner introduced me to his wife who suggested that I say mass at 6.She prepared the church and rang the bell. It was lovely to celebrate in Spanish in such a special place . After mass I took some photos from above the village . As David and Pauleen were having a pre dinner drink Rick arrived . I first met him in Emaus two nights ago . He is from Atlanta and excellent company . We had a lovely evening.
This morning the girl in the bar greeted me as the Englishman who speaks Spanish . For the first half hour I had the meseta to myself . It was wonderful to absorb the silence . The waning moon was accompanied by a solitary start . At Castrojeriz I found David and Pauleen having a coffee . We walked together as the conditions deteriorated . Eventually we were walking in the heaviest rain so far . I had a particular reason for stopping at Itero de la Vega. It was here on a scorching July day in 1995 that my dear friends Moira and Bill Reid had set off with Pepe Redondo to walk some of the Camino . It is not often in our lives that we can fulfil our dreams . This dream has exceeded expectations . Rick appeared and we enjoyed a hearty lunch together.

No comments:

Post a Comment